Phone: (646) 455-1617
Email: [email protected]
Hi, I’m “Dr. Amy”. I am an LCPC (Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor) in Maryland and I'm an LMHC (Licensed Mental Health Counselor) in New York State. I work with all ages including adults and adolescents. My private practice is in Rockville, Maryland for face to face clients and via Skype video sessions for clients in NYS.
I have over 16 years experience as an individual, child, adolescent, substance abuse, group, play therapy, Sandtray and marriage/family therapist. Also, I am a graduate of Argosy University's Washington, DC campus with a doctorate (EdD) in Counseling Psychology. My dissertation topic looked at the over diagnosis/misdiagnosis of Bipolar Disorder in Medicaid clients as compared to clients with commercial insurance plans. Also from Argosy University I have a master's degree in Professional Counseling, upon which my LCPC and LMHC licensures are based upon. I currently serve as private practitioner working with a broad spectrum of clients with varying issues. In addition, my former work as a certified teacher to students in grades K-12 in regular ed (English), alternative ed (English) and special ed in both Maryland and NYS also helps me to work with children and adolescents who may be having issues in school settings. Also, I’ve been teaching faculty at four year colleges and a community college in NYS, teaching full-time in the Freshmen Writing Program at Elmira College, Psychology and English as an adjunct instructor at Tompkins Cortland Community College and Psychology as an adjunct instructor at Argosy University. These experiences allow me to understand the needs that college students face and areas where therapy can help.
In order to continue to learn in my field and offer more comprehensive services to my clients, I am currently ABD (All But Dissertation) in a second doctoral degree (PhD) from The Chicago School’s Washington, DC campus in International Psychology with a specialization in trauma. My dissertion topic will look at domestic violence experienced by women in Lima, Peru which has been borne out of the aftermath of Peru’s civil war which ended in 2000. In March/April 2017, I traveled to Brazil for my first field experience to experience what work would be like as an International Psychologist in various settings in Sao Paulo, Brazil. In December 2017, I went on my 2nd field experience to the Philippines, specifically to Manila and Tanay, in order to gain a non-Western and indigenous perspective on trauma. On my own, I have also explored Iceland and met with students in the Counseling program at The University of Iceland. During my hiatus from the PhD program in International Psychology, I am studying in The Chicago School’s Educational Psychology and Technology PhD program, which is also an interest of mine. The programs and the field experiences continue to inform my therapy practice since I have clients from all parts of the world and world views who come to see me for therapy.
Also, recreation is a very important part of one’s life, so I also am a hobby potter with a home studio. In addition, I am also a painter and as a former English teacher/professor, I am an avid reader and creative writer. I am an interactive, mental health therapist who uses an eclectic approach in my practice to work with clients according to their individual needs. My therapeutic approach is to provide support and practical feedback to help clients effectively address personal life challenges. I integrate complementary methodologies and techniques, such as talk therapy modalities, EMDR and Sandtray Therapy, to offer a highly personalized approach tailored to each client. With compassion and understanding, I work with each individual to help them build on their strengths and attain the personal growth they are committed to accomplishing.
My Specialities Include:
- Ed.D. in the Counseling Psychology program from Argosy University's Arlington, VA campus - December 2017.
- Ph.D. ABD in the International Psychology program with a specialization in Trauma from The Chicago School's Washington, DC campus.
- Master of Arts degree in Professional Counseling from Argosy University's Washington, DC campus - August 2006.
- Master of Education degree in Instructional Technology from the University of Maryland University College's College Park, Maryland campus - December 2004.
- Bachelor of Arts degree in English from the University of Maryland University College's College Park, Maryland campus - August 2001.
- Bachelor of Arts degree in Counseling Psychology from Elmira College, Elmira, New York - June 1993.
- Associates of Science degree in Foreign Languages with a minor in Health Education from Corning Community College, Corning, New York - June 1990.
License, Certifications & Awards:
- LMHC in New York State
- LCPC in Maryland
- Provisional Teaching license in Maryland
- Provisional Teaching license in New York State
Graduate and Post Graduate Training:
- Licensed Supervisor for prelicensed therapists
- EMDR Therapy Training 2011 - a specific therapy used for trauma and PTSD
- Sandplay Therapy Training through Dee Preston Dillon, PhD - for more information please visit: www.cultureplay.com
- Training and work experience in Functional Family Therapy as an FFT Therapist through Cayuga Home for Children, Auburn, New York - 2006.
- Practicum at Cayuga Addiction Recovery Services' residential unit, Trumansburg, New York - September 2005 to April 2006.
- Practicum at Binghamton Psychiatric Center, Binghamton, New York - January 2004 to August 2004.
- Field Researcher for the Health and Growth Study - Wave II studying the correlation between eating disorders and major mental illness Fall of 1998. Funded through NIMH.